Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Contentedness


*The only way to make it in this homeschooling life is to reach for God instead of reaching for happiness. Trying harder to be happy or content will not make you happy and content; trying harder to rest in God and depend upon His grace will. It is a spiritual issue, not a practical one. Contentedness will not come from being more organized, sleeping longer, being a better wife, having a better home, using better materials, having more time to yourself, or whatever you think might help. Contentedness is learned in the process of daily accepting life as God gives it to you, and adjusting your expectations to life’s limitations.

If it is God’s will for me to homeschool, then He is not asking me to do more than I am able (I Corinthians 10:13) and He is not withholding from me anything that I truly need (Philippians 4:19; James 2:2-8). If I choose to, I can learn to be content with the life that God has given to me, whether I have a little or a lot to live it with. What keeps me from being content is not what God is or isn’t supplying. The real problem is that I, Sally, will not adjust my expectations to life’s limitations—I want more than I can have, ask for more than I need, strive for more than I can do, and expect more than God has promised.*

-Sally Clarkson From Seasons of a Mother’s Heart

~The photo of the flower was taken by Sisse Brimberg. She calls this type of picture a pinhole photo because she actually shot the flower through a lens cover that had a hole in it. Interesting technique. I found this picture on the National Geographic website. I go there occasionally just to check out pictures and interesting facts about creatures. ~

No comments: