Sunday, September 30, 2007

Bottom's Up





Our pet opossum has become a regular at our compost bucket. For the past three nights, Scott will say, "our opossum is out there", after he has heard some kind of noise made with the bucket. Scott and I peek through our blinds to see it. I imagine most of you would sit the bucket farther away from the house. We kind of like this little guy. It seems pretty cool that our leftovers give him a nice full tummy for his nighttime prowling. Tonight, his supper was a sweet potato and black bean burrito, tasty apples and some blue corn chips.

Tonight, Scott went back to his reading pretty quickly after he saw our visitor. I, however, could not get enough. Creatures just amaze me. I am fond of animals. Now, don't get me wrong, I would not want to hold the guy or sit by him. But watching him eat and clean himself like a cat, with his cute hands, was so interesting.

The kids have not seen these pictures. They will be so tickled to see that this little critter keeps coming back for more.

Please pray that we will not soon find our critter in the road outside our house. :)

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

OK, now my interest is peaked. You all might want to join this society, http://www.opossum.org/

J/K, but it appears possums carry few diseases, are completely unagressive, and actually keep other pests (rats and such) away. That is good news. So, three cheers for the possum.
Ok, I like this one better now.
http://www.opossumsocietyus.org/opossum.html
I want an oppossum! Keep a look out for babies.

We actually did lose a fox to the road recently that had been a neighborhood favorite. It was sad. Hopefuly yours will stay healthy and far from the road given the ample food supply ;-)

Jennifer said...

Sorry, I can't help it. They are marsupials (the only ones in Norht America)! He is a cousin to the koala and kangaroo. That is so cool.
Ok, I will stop.
Thanks for the pics,
Daniel

Unknown said...

Aw! That is so cute! Great to know, Daniel!! Very good information:) I knew I liked possums:) they're so cute.
hahaha