Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Charlotte's Web


Last night, Kalen and I finished reading Charlotte's Web together. I have mentioned this before, I have read each of the kids this book and it is such a sweet tradition. The story, if you are not familiar, involves Wilbur, a lovable pig, who lives in a barn with a spider named Charlotte. With the help of Templeton the rat, and with a clever plan of her own, Charlotte saves Wilbur's life.

I got word this fall that The Carolina Theatre in Downtown Durham was putting on a show featuring Charlotte's Web. The neat thing was that I heard it through my homeschool group. I worked it out and got us some tickets, not knowing that the timing would be perfect.

It was a great experience. The kids and I really enjoyed it. I also enjoyed talking with other moms that had their kids there from our group. Julian met up with a little guy that he had met before and they sat together. It was so refreshing to see him interacting with someone he had met before. Slowly, but surely, we are making friends. It takes time.

Tonight, as I was getting my little buddy, Kalen, ready for bed, he said, "We won't read Charlotte's Web tonight, Mommy." With that he gave me a fake frown and then a big ol' smile. Even as an adult, I know how good it feels to finish a book, such a feeling of accomplishment.




No comments: