Monday, January 28, 2008

Julian's Interests

This is one of Julian's most recent marble tracks.  
This is JJ with some little dinosaur puzzle-like figures.  


This is a stack of Julian's books to return to the library.


I have been reading a lot and thinking about the importance of really knowing the interests of my children. In a homeschooling setting, this can truly lend itself to tons of creativity, expression, mastering and acquiring new skills. I think that it is vitally important to study our children. Listening to our children ramble, instead of cutting them off, can prove to be truly educational for us as parents.
I sat and just concentrated on each of my children the other night, just trying to get an overall picture of their "bent" and their interests. I'll share my thoughts . . .

Our Julian. Julian is a guy that is talented at putting things together. He enjoys maps. He is an amazing auditory learner. He can read with ease and desire. He likes art and music. He is incredible with the computer and his Gameboy. He loves thinking about animals. Even as a little one, at age 3 1/2, he would sit and watch documentaries having to do with animals. He knows a lot about creatures, he is good with facts. He wouldn't be real excited about being in the same area as a Velociraptor or a Lion, but could tell you several things about one. Julian enjoys history and science. He enjoys being free outdoors. JJ likes to ride his bike or his scooter and enjoys others to join him.  He also has his own bow and arrows that he enjoys practicing with.

Julian is loyal and full of potential.  He is an early riser and ready for most tasks put before him.  He is imaginative.  He is a good friend and thoughtful.  He has a good heart.

Just recently, JJ is really into setting up our wooden marble track. It is a really cool activity that is fun and makes him and the other kids think.

He is not a calm child. He has to be busy with something. His body is almost always moving. He is healthy and alert all the day long.

I asked Julian what he is in to these days, and he gave me a nice list of things. He said, "I like snakes, lizards, squirrels, alligators, dragons, knights, playing Legos, reading all day and putting things together."

Knowing Julian Jeremiah fully can allow me to teach and love him better. If I can tap into those interests with love and an atmosphere of discovery and exploration, man, that would be divine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Two notes: 1. This is great! I'm inspired. You know it's easy to think you know you're children inside and out, but I too often take that for granted. I'm going to do the same.
2. Yay, Jules!! ..cool track! You are an amazing young man. I think you're cool.:)