Thursday, February 28, 2008

Savoring Them

I have this bookmark that has a very thoughtful poem on it that I would like to share with you.  

If I Had My Child to Raise Over Again

If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I'd finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
I'd see the oak tree in the acorn more often.
I would be firm less often, and affirm much more.
I'd model less about the love of power, 
And more about the power of love.
~ By Diane Loomans

Many people look at my children then tell me, "Enjoy this, for they grow up too fast."  I grin and acknowledge their kindness, not really knowing the fullness of what they mean.  After reading words like those above in the poem, I can get a feeling of what is implied.  

From day to day, there is a powerful urge to tidy, to scurry about doing this and that, busying ourselves with the 'musts' of the day.  Even though I truly do have to get many things done throughout the day, I have to stop and enjoy the true gift I have in the simple moments with my children.  Knowing that a cuddle with them is more important than prepping a gourmet meal. Or even listening to them think outloud is more important than whatever it is that I think I have to attend to.  

I live in a dream each day with the opportunity to witness the growth of my children's bodies, minds and hearts.  It can get hairy as a stay-at-home homeschooling mom, but it is still a dream.  There are moments that don't feel so wonderful, but I must remember that they are only young once.  I must savor them, seizing the day, capturing those moments I have now to connect with them.  

2 comments:

laurie said...

Thanks for the reminder sweet sister! I treasure you and your passion to embrace each moment with your little ones.

TS said...

You will never know how much I envy your job. You are so lucky to be at home every day with your children.