Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Blackberries

We have had a whirl of a day here. My favorite part was taking the kids out to Lyon's Farm again. Instead of strawberries, we were able to pick blackberries this time. The bushes were gorgeous, all green and so fruitful. They looked like a vineyard from a far. The kids and I had to walk a bit to get to them, but that was half the fun.


We took our containers out there and just started picking. The berries are so beautiful. We picked quite a bit and stumbled upon several creatures and nature beauties along the way. We found a little orange toad, a bird's nest with eggs, a butterfly and spied a heron across a pond.

Later we went to a near by pond and found several toads. We came home with ten toads! We are watching them closely and will keep them only for a short while. What a wonderful science lesson and overall experience!










6 comments:

Jen said...

Those blackberries are lovely! My goal tomorrow is to pick blackberries and squash with the kids. We have wild blackberries on the farm. They are so tasty! I can't wait for blackberry cobbler!

Gretchen said...

YUMMY! It is so much fun to pick your own fruits in various seasons. The best part is eating along the way! I look forward to hearing about what delicious treats you make. ENJOY!

The Presnell's said...

That's great! You all had some fun! :) side note- Can you email me your recipe for zuchini bread? poko143@yahoo.com Or make a post for just recipes? :)

Kathryn said...

Our berries aren't ready yet, but I can't wait. Our back fence is covered in them. We had to trim them back this year so we may not get as many as years before, but blackberries are so much fun to pick, eat, can, etc..etc..

I think frogs are so fun for kids. How exciting to find 10!

Anna Morrison said...

sure Pamela! I will get you some yummy recipes. we are on the way to the museum soon. i will work on it when we return. no problem. :)

Kristen said...

Anna... does all of NC look like this? What a picturesque and perfect day out with your children. I wish I was there with you...but for now I will just drink it in through your pictures!