Sunday, June 15, 2008

Meal Plan

I have a blogging friend named Kristen.  I know her through, my friend and college roommate, Mandy.  Kristen is someone who easily has the ability to encourage and inspire.  She has been posting meal plans recently.  I have been encouraged to do so myself.  


I, like Kristen, make most of the meals we eat here at home.  If and when the Morrison family goes out to eat, it is a big occasion.  Like today, we went out for lunch, after church, for Father's Day.  I enjoy preparing our food.  Making a meal plan for the week is very helpful.  Not only does it ease my mind going into my days, knowing what I will be cooking that night.  I also am able to make a more precise list of items needed from the store.  If I have a list, I am not as likely to go overboard with our spending.  

Let me say that having a list of the meals we will be having for supper for the week also helps me to be more efficent in prepping those meals.  So often, I wait until crunch time.  You know what time I am talking about, homemakers, the 5 o'clock hour.  If I prep a meal, say at rest time around 2pm, I will be able to ease into that cooking phase.  If I am not rushed and well prepped, I am more likely to involve the kids and not send them away for fear of delay.  

This afternoon I decided to rummage through my, very messy, recipe box.  I pulled out several dishes and additional things that I wanted to prepare this week.  I wrote a list of the meals that I wanted to fix.  I then took inventory of what we had in our refrigerator and pantry.  I jotted down a list of items that we were out of and items/ingredients we needed for the dishes I hoped to make.  I took my littlest two,  Kalen and Brayden, and we were off to Whole Foods.

Now, if I post these meals, I guess I will be more likely to follow through.  I'm excited!

Here is what the Morrison's will be having this week for supper:
Monday
Homemade Pizza-  homemade crust, pizza sauce, zucchini, onions, mushroom, tofu,broccoli and our special homemade cheese-like sauce  
we make two pizzas~ the kiddy pizza is more simple, of course

Tuesday
Mashed Potatoes, Cabbage, Fresh Green Beans, Black-eyed Peas & Fresh Bread

Wednesday
Tacos~ hard shelled tacos with refried beans, white rice, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, lettuce and avocado

Thursday
Baked Chili with Cornbread Biscuit Topping

Friday
Sweet Potato Fajitas with Chips & Salsa

Saturday
Veggie Burgers, Fries & Green Beans

Sunday
Spaghetti, Kale & Bread


5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I want to know more about the sweet potato fajitas! My family are meat eaters (sorry) but I would love to try some of your recipes, if nothing more than to save money not having to buy so much meat! And you can teach us all something new :) I love having all veggie meals in the summertime with a fresh garden! Keep these coming this is very cool!!

Kathryn said...

We are meat eaters too, but I'm interested in some recipes you've shared...like the cheesy pizza sauce, sounds delicious.
I also post meal plans occasionally on my blog, you've inspired me to do it again!

Anonymous said...

What exactly are these "burgers" you are making?

Anna G

Anna Morrison said...

Anna Gossett~ When I say burgers, I mean Vegan Burgers that are store bought. Currently we have two kinds in our freezer~ Amy's California Burgers and the other is Boco Burgers.
We just heat them up on the stove with a little oil and serve on a bun with lettuce, ketchup, mustard or barbeque sauce.

Kristen said...

oh Anna! I love that you are posting your meal plans! I hope this is something you continue, because it will give me inspiration for dairy free as well as meat free meals so we can make that full transition together! Thank you friend!