Friday, June 20, 2008

My Clotheslines

For years I have wanted my own clothesline to dry our clothes on. For this reason or that, we just hadn't gotten to it. Last night, Scott and our friend, Griff, worked on it for me.  They actually put up three lines that are connected to our fence.


Drying our clothes out on the line is one step closer to living more simply and living out what we believe. Besides the global-warming and cost-saving aspects of clotheslines, hanging out clothes requires exercise and time outside. I think we all would agree that these things are missing from many American's lives. So much of what we do and/or experience is so automated.

I have read that a clothesline makes your clothes last longer and smell better. We'll see. We'll also see how our lovely squirrels enjoy our line, as it is right where they like to climb over the fence and eat our birdseed. I figure people have been doing this for so long, whatever problems that should arise are totally tolerable.

Madelyn and I just went and took everything off our line.  What a joy that was!  They do smell wonderfully and it didn't take long at all.  



7 comments:

Jennifer said...

We had a clothes like when I was little and I hated it! But I got the clothesline itch this spring and thought I was crazy, I love sheets out on the line and all the added benefits and like you said it has been done for years! Since I work I do the clothesline thing on saturdays. I rigged me up one too, but for my birthday I asked for a nice retractable I found on line http://www.homevisions.com/hvprod/prod_display1.asp?DMSIID=82&product=30470 this is the style we had when we were little and I like it b/c it retracts. thought you may like it too.... glad to see someone else has the clotheline bug too!! have a wonderful weekend!

TS said...

I love clotheslines too. My mother has used one for years. Even in the winter she hangs clothing all over the house. I don't know why she has a dryer because she never uses it. I am sad to say we don't use our clothesline because of my arachnophobic husband. I got tired of checking every nook and cranny of our clothing to make sure no bugs or SPIDERS were on or in our clothing.

TS said...

I love clotheslines too. My mother has used one for years. Even in the winter she hangs clothing all over the house. I don't know why she has a dryer because she never uses it. I am sad to say we don't use our clothesline because of my arachnophobic husband. I got tired of checking every nook and cranny of our clothing to make sure no bugs or SPIDERS were on or in our clothing.

Jules said...

Don't your clothes smell fantastic when you do that? I would love to have a clothesline, but have wondered how that would affect my very allergic (to outside allergins) husband. Any thoughts??

Elderwoman said...

Good for you, Anna! I hope all your neighbors follow your example.
Here in England where I live, although some people do have dryers, a clothesline is still considered the normal way of drying clothes. I've never owned a dryer in my life and I am 72.
I did own a washing machine when I had a young family but I don't now. I wash everything by hand.
It's ironic that we use clotheslines here, in our cool, drizzly climate and yet when I lived in an apartment in California, where there is sunshine all year round and little rain, I was expected to use the dryers in the laundry of the apartment complex. (I did string a clothesline on our balcony though and dried most things there except bedlinen)
Many blessings,
Marian Van Eyk McCain (Author of The Lilypad List:7 steps to the simple life)

Unknown said...

Cool!! I have not gotten said bug as of yet...but love the idea!!!

Clotheslinemaster said...

Hanging out clothes to dry is the right thing for our environment. If you run short on time or have winds that are too great try the clothesline kit product CordOClip. Search it out on the net it is great!