Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sweatin' Hot

Maddie calls this weather "sweatin' hot". Hilarious. Like most of the East, we are experiencing a huge heat wave. It is super hot! It has been for several days now. This means that the kids and I are mostly inside. So, what do we do when it is 100 degrees? Mainly, we try to not scream at each other. No, just kidding. Well, no, I am not kidding.  


We homeschool in the morning until about 12:30 or 1:00pm.  This leaves the rest of the day to do what we want.  Brayden usually naps from 1 till 3:00pm.  The others usually have rest time for an hour or so and then we/they go out and play or we go somewhere.  With the gas prices the way they are and with this heat, we have to be creative within our home.

Here are some of the things we have been doing the past two days.

We have to keep a sense of humor. At least one of us is usually clowning around.


Homeschooling provides our family with some structure to our morning. We won't stop our schooling through the summer, but we will be a little more flexible for things this season has to offer. This is a picture of something Kalen worked on this morning. From what I can tell, Kalen is a visual and kinesthetic learner.

We make plenty of messes.  This is nothing compared to the messes we can make.  Kalen had these Hot Wheels and Tonka trucks out yesterday.  


We push the coffee table aside and the kids have more room to wrestle and play.


I have more time to prep meals, with lots of helpers of course.  Photo by Maddie.  Taking pictures is also a fun way to pass the time.  


The kids played hide and seek.


Can you see Kalen's face?  :)


We have been going outside early in the morning.  Here the boys are getting water for the garden.


Brayden watered the squash for us this morning.  It was still sweatin' hot at 9am.


Madelyn watered our beans.  Yes, this is a part of our homeschooling, Gardening 101.


K & B hung out this morning and played with some bouncy balls.  Old Navy sales them for 25 cents.  We have dozens.  They had a "ball".


Here is our Julian.  Sometimes he even gets creative with his reading positions.

7 comments:

TS said...

Eli and I were just counting and gluing some beans to paper last night. He loves his "blue (glue) stick"

The Presnell's said...

I love reading your posts!! About your garden, why do you have hay in between the plants? Should I do that too? I'm new to this gardening thing, so I don't know about that kind of stuff.:)

Anna Morrison said...

Pamela ~The hay was put down by Scott. It has something to do with keeping the moisture in and keeping some weeds away, I think. Sure, get some. It is inexpensive. A little goes a long way.
We are learning as we go. :)

Jennifer said...

We have the hay too, I think it is moisture also. I hope to post pics of mine this week. I love the bean rows, I wanted to do that this year, I was going to line the fence b/c I read they want to climb. You should rent the book "gardners bible" I really enjoyed it and they had beautiful trellis' in there.

TS said...

Every time I check out this post I just keep cracking up.

:)

Kristen said...

Love the pictures of your summer Anna! We are chillin' up here in the Northwest, temps barely over 60! You remember what that was like back in February right? :) I'm so encouraged by seeing the way Julian is reading on the couch! I often wonder if Halle is reading in similar fashion because she wants to be goofy or if its actually OK! Glad to know she's not alone in this department...

Gretchen said...

This really makes me miss you all even more! We would LOVE to join in on the wrestling, gardening, reading, and playing hide-and-seek, too! Please give them all kisses from St. Louis and know that you are LOVED here in the midwest.