Thursday, June 12, 2008

Potatoes in the Rough

It was as if we were digging for diamonds in the rough yesterday morning.  Scott had gotten out his big shovel and starting transporting our old compost to our garden.  He was putting it around our plants.  Lo and behold he started finding potatoes.  The search was on!

You see we have two composts.  One is newer, with things that have not broken down yet, such as banana peels, apple cores, etc.  The other looks like dirt, whatever was in there has broken down.  I mentioned before that the soil in the dirt-like compost was so rich that we had a pumpkin plant and several potato plants growing from discarded food.  Those plants didn't look like they were going to make it.  We thought that it was because they were contained in such a little space.  Scott pulled the potato plants and the pumpkin plant.  Little did we know that the potato plants had actually produced several beautiful potatoes.  What a treat it was for the kids to hunt for potatoes.  Actually, truth be told, Kalen was hunting for worms. :)

Last night, I cooked up several of the red potatoes for supper.  We ate them with our collard greens, store bought cabbage, baked beans and homemade cornbread.  What a yummy southern meal that was!

We will definitely be planting potatoes in the future.  






5 comments:

TS said...

Oh my gosh! You did find a lot. Do you know what that would have cost you in the store? Red potatoes are my fav!

Jennifer said...

Wow guys, that IS a lot of potatoes. How exciting! Wonder what would have happened if you just transplanted the pumpkins that were growing in your compost to the garden??

The Presnell's said...

I am so jealous, you get to harvest your garden now. :) I have to wait for what it seems like 3 more months, ha! I'm learning through you guys. What a great treat to find those!

Jennifer said...

ahh I want those in my garden!! I want to plant potatoes next year, just not sure how to go about doing it and then when do you know when to go digging and hunting for them? Kinda feel the same way about the carrots I have in my garden now....when do I know they are ready? If our little neighborhood bunny does not get to them all before we can :) Next may you may have to give a bloggers garden session! Those potatoes were a very cool find! and we all love unexpected free stuff and etable too, you go!!

Unknown said...

WOW Anna we planted potatoes last year and they werent nearly as big as yours!! That was like finding gold!! I may have to try them again next year!