Friday, April 25, 2008

Art









This week I took out one of my handy homeschooling resources on Art.  It is The Children's Book of Art by Rosie Dickens.  I really like Usborne books.  This one has great pictures and concise information on mediums of Art, as well as specific artists and their work.  We studied two artists this week that worked in Italy during the Renassiance, Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo Buonarroti.  Madelyn and Kalen and I were studying a book called Papa Piccolo within our Five In A Row unit series.  The book's setting is Italy, so studying these two artists from this same country was quite fitting.  We talked about da Vinci's Mona Lisa and
Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel painting.  

I think it is important to allow children to test out all different forms of Art.  I may not know a lot about technique of this or that, but I can find out.  We shouldn't dumb down our kid's experience with the Arts.  They are quite capable of understanding well and experimenting with much.  I want our children to be comfortable expressing themselves and appreciating the expressions of others.  The kid's had a stab at their own Art throughout the week.  Just wanted to share a bit of it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love it!!! The painting is definitely frame-worthy:) I love the drawings, too. The girls love when we have art time. You're so right, nothing is wasted on these little ones. They soak it all in - no dumbing down needed. It is such a gift to encourage our children's creative juices!
Great job, kids!!!! I love it!