Tuesday, April 15, 2008

NC Botanical Gardens and Such

"We are all meant to be naturalists, each in his own degree, and it is inexcusable to live in a world so full of the marvels of plant and animal life and to care for none of these things." Charlotte Mason









Today, my friend Kim and I headed up a field trip to the NC Botanical Gardens for our homeschool group.  We had never been.  We had the opportunity of our group being involved with the classes they offer kids there at the gardens.  

It was an easy going afternoon as we strolled around the gardens looking for various types of leaves, flowers and trees.  I thought it was informative and rather enchanting at times.  I was with Julian's group.  Julian and Kalen found several worms and caterpillars along the way.  I think all the kids enjoyed it.  The gardens were nice, we didn't even get to see all of it.  I believe there are several hiking trails that surround the gardens as well.  I hope to check those out soon with our family.  Hiking is something really miss.  

I am reading a book entitled Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv.  I am only beginning and I am really enjoying it.  I had turned on the TV weeks ago and was watching the PBS channel.  There was a guy on there interviewing children about what things they know about in nature; names of birds, trees and such.  Basically the show was proving that our children have lost touch with nature.  Of course, most of us know this, but who is actively doing anything about it.  The guy recommended the book by Louv.  

Are you allowing your kids to get dirty in your back yard or your local natural areas.  Do you talk to them about critters, flowers, soil, trees, roots, leaves, and such?  Do you let them ask questions?  Do you listen as they go on about this and that?  Are you creating an appreciation for nature?  I have been challenged to do so much more.  

This is from Publisher's Weekly.  It speaks of Louv and the book.  

Today's kids are increasingly disconnected from the natural world, says child advocacy expert Louv (Childhood's Future; Fatherlove; etc.), even as research shows that "thoughtful exposure of youngsters to nature can... be a powerful form of therapy for attention-deficit disorder and other maladies." Instead of passing summer months hiking, swimming and telling stories around the campfire, children these days are more likely to attend computer camps or weight-loss camps: as a result, Louv says, they've come to think of nature as more of an abstraction than a reality. Indeed, a 2002 British study reported that eight-year-olds could identify Pokémon characters far more easily than they could name "otter, beetle, and oak tree." Gathering thoughts from parents, teachers, researchers, environmentalists and other concerned parties, Louv argues for a return to an awareness of and appreciation for the natural world. Not only can nature teach kids science and nurture their creativity, he says, nature needs its children: where else will its future stewards come from? Louv's book is a call to action, full of warnings—but also full of ideas for change.  ~ James Levine.

"Let them once get in touch with nature and a habit is formed which will be a source of delight and habit through life."~ Charlotte Mason

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Anna,
This is beautiful! I love looking at your blog and all the pictures of NC. I have been a bit jealous of the weather you are experiencing! Thankyou for sharing and encouraging me to get outside!
I love having a blog friend :)

Unknown said...

great stuff! ..inspired, as usual.

Jennifer said...

I have heard lots of good about this book. I haven't read it yet, I guess I figured I would agree with what he has to say. This is a wonderful time of year to be outside. So glad you are enjoying the town so much.
love you,
jen

FreeK said...

We just bought this book. Its sad that it is taking a book like this for me to think about my children and nature. For the first time the other day I didn't tell them "no" when they started getting muddy in the back yard. Then, we actually went to a "sanctuary" in our neighborhood. The kids loved exploring the empty river bed. We've lived here for almost five years and have never explored that forest. So sad. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know we were reading the same book. Enjoying your blog as always.

Kim