Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Childhood At Its Best

For the first time in all my years of mothering, my children didn't want to come in for supper.  Last night, some of our neighbors came over to play and my kids were having the time of their little lives.  I called them in for supper and they were reluctant to come.  I finally lured them in to eat.  They hurried through their meal and asked to be excused to go outside to play some more.  Of course, I said, "Sure!"  Even Brayden went running after them.  They played freeze tag, duck duck goose, ring around the roses, leap frog, and all sorts of fun games.  

As I read my book called Last Child in the Woods and I witness my children playing outside with their neighbors, I am reminded of this piece of childhood that seems to be lacking in our society.  I remember, as a child, playing outside till the sun was setting.  I remember that being the norm.

Yesterday, my children were outside most of the day, with willingness.  This is something I have been encouraging for years.  I have tried to express to them how deeply I want them to enjoy being outside.  I could hardly believe it when it was rest time and they were all wanting to spend it outside rooting around in the woods.  I was so thrilled.  They looked for skinks, walked through the woods, watered the garden and just played.  They did all of it without me!  I was available for photos, of course.  The boys caught two skinks.  Madelyn seemed to have tamed one of them, a Five Lined Skink.  She didn't even squirm.  She held it for almost 20 minutes.  I love that!  

I am enjoying this sense of community that my family has experienced within our neighborhood this week.  I hope it continues.  I hope that we are a house that is warm and welcoming to our neighbors.  I want to be that cool mom, the one that the neighborhood kids enjoy, feel comfortable with and want to be around.  I would love to be a household that invites community, kindness and such.  Most of all, I want my children to love being outdoors.  I want them to feel it as a natural part of living.









1 comment:

Unknown said...

so cute - Maddy holding the skinks, and all the pictures of the kids playing. That is so wonderful, Anna!! I'm thrilled for where the Lord has placed you! I pray He continues to richly bless your home with community, peace, and love.

Thanks so much for your encouraging words today, too. It's always wonderful to hear from you.