Monday, May 26, 2008

Louie

We found a Box Turtle in the road this morning on the way to Target. I pulled over to a safe spot, put on my caution lights and walked over to it. Of course, the little guy or gal didn't recognize me, so he/she quickly went totally in his/her shell. I put it on the floor in the van and we went on to the store. We let it hang out in the van while we quickly ran into get a few things. We came back and he/she had moved some, but was safe and feeling a little less scared, I guess. It just so happened that there was a PETCO right next door, so we walked into it with our new little friend. Knowing that my kids would enjoy watching this little guy for a day or two, I wanted to find out some information about him and find out if I could get a nice temporary container for him to hang out in (plus, I figured the skinks we catch would enjoy a better container as well)  Sure enough, a guy was very helpful as he told us what a Box Turtle likes to eat and what environment it likes. We bought a container and took him home.


 On the way, the kids and I came up with a name for him. This week, we got a book by one of our favorite children's book author's, Ezra Jack Keats, entitled Louie. That name seemed cute enough.  so now we have a little turtle hanging out with us today. We have let Louie roam around our backyard, feed him cabbage and collard greens and provided water. 

Needless to say, the kids are really enjoying this experience.  Take a look at Louie.




1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Your the coolest mom ever!