Thursday, May 1, 2008

Skinks and Sea Shells

Today was a day full of skink chasing.  From sun up to sun down, Kalen scouted out for skinks that like to scurry around the outside of our home.  I heard "Mommy, I saw the lizard" fifty times today.  He tried to catch it over and over again.  He got real close.  I even tried a hand at it a few times.  Of course, I screamed at one point and made Brayden cry.  Poor thing.  I guess he thought I was in trouble or something.  Those little creatures are fast!  We have seen these little skinks in our area.  I am sure there will be many more skink adventures.

This afternoon as I was cleaning out our garage, I stumbled upon our box top full of sea shells.  We saved several shells from our trip to both Emerald Isle and Folly Beach.  The kids were so excited to see them again and pick out their favorites.  They talked about how they can't wait to return to the beach and such.  That kept them entertained for the longest time.  Madelyn was certain she heard the ocean in several of them.  She even said she heard a sea gull.  Cute. 



Kalen is checking out the skink as it sought shelter from this crazed four year old.  You can see the little tail.



You can actually see the skink's tail here as well.


Kalen brought back up.


Julian tells me that this is called a Five-lined Skink or as he calls it the blue tailed skink.





All tuckered out after all his adventures.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Kalen, stick with it. You'll catch him. As they get bigger they get faster and more reclusive (as well as losing the blue stripes). One day out in the yard I thought I was catching a toad or small snake when I saw the little pointy head sneak out of some hay. When I went for the catch this big ole lizard jumped out and I jumped right back into the house. We have caught them before with nets-do you have any butterfly nets or "minnow" nets from the beach?

Good luck buddy. I love catchin lizards.

daniel